Friday, August 22, 2008

Adventures in kid-speak

School starts in a week and a half, which means crazy crunch time for teachers. If I'm not helping Jill reorganize the chaos that is her new classroom, I'm at her house watching her girls. But more than watching them, I really like LISTENING to them! Seriously, the way their minds work cracks me up. Here are a few treasured moments:

To start, a dialogue at lunch the other day beginning with: "When I get big...

I'm going to go to Disneyland by myself"
I'm going to cross the street without a grown-up"
I'm going to drive the car"
I'm going to go to K-Mark (yes, with a K) by myself"
I'm going to talk in Spanish"
I'm going to be 40 pounds!"

They're obsessed with being 40 pounds, because when they are, they can ride in the booster seats instead of the car seats. So another funny dialogue was

"I'm going to be 40 pounds and then that's it."
Me: "Aren't you going to grow more?"
"No, just 40 pounds and then I'm going to be done."
Me: "Do you think grown-ups weigh more than 40 pounds?"
"YOU do! You're really big. But I'm not going to be that big I'm just going to be 40 pounds."


"Sarah, you were born in a sleeping bag!"

And my all-time fav kid-speak comment:
"We're getting Barbie boobies for Christmas!" (She meant "movies," of course, but darn that alliteration!)

No comments: