Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The day I called a taxi...

and ended up at an impromptu house party. There is one more Volunteer left who has finished her service and is on her way out of my oblast. I wanted to see her site before she left for good (on Sunday!), and so I arranged a trip. This is no easy feat, as there is only one bus to her town, and I first have to travel to a different town to catch this bus. The plan was that we would hang out for the day, then her neighbor would take me to the town where I could catch a bus home.

Well, the neighbor's car was not working. We couldn't catch any other friends/neighbors/acquaintances either, so we decided to try a taxi. The price wasn't bad at all, so I decided to go with it.

"It" meant a quick detour to my friend's landlords, who are somehow related to the taxi driver. An hour later, we'd had probably 6 "shots" of wine, cheese, bread and tomatoes, and it was time to move on. On the way to my house, my driver stopped by a landscaper's to ask the price of fencing. Well, the landscaper hopped into the car, and off to the driver's house to take measurements. All that hard work then required a beer (my driver didn't drink anything...neither wine or beer), and we returned the landscaper to his house. On the way to my house (again), we picked up a woman who seemed to be my sub-let passenger. 3 1/2 hours after my driver pulled up, I returned home.

It is a 20 minute drive to my house.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Hahahaha! Fantastic... even better since I watch Anthony's blog too! :)