Saturday, January 5, 2008

Learning to depend on the kindness of strangers

As the internet was no where near even being a twinkle in the eye of its creator (who IS that AMAZING person, anyway?!?!) when Tennessee Williams wrote the line, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," he could not have known that this God-sent communication tool would be making my world better in hundreds of little ways. I name specifically the greatness that is the Craig's List "FREE STUFF" posting site. People can post ads for anything they are selling (I have an ad up for my car right now!) or giving away. In light of my wonderful new (but empty!) apartment, I have been perusing this list for the last week or so, and am just stunned by some of the stuff that's being given away for FREE! Granted a lot of it is, for me, pretty useless. There is free dirt, free broken concrete, old magazines, packets of soy sauce (I laughed about that one for quite some time) free tantric massages (no joke!), and lots of broken stuff. But there are some real gems. I've seen TVs, microwaves, couches, tables, bookshelves, computers, haircuts, coupons to various restaurants, and even a jacuzzi! As I am in the market for a couch and a couple of kitchen chairs and a microwave, I've been in contact with the various "sellers," but have only just missed the items.

The thing that is truly remarkable to me about this link is the way in which people are truly generous...willing to give something away when they could easily ask $50 for it. It reminds me of an "old world" communal society mentality, in which no one really "owns" anything, and we're all part of a balance of helping each other out.

As I look at the piles of things I'm sorting through and planning to get rid of, I wonder what stranger could depend on this measure of kindness. And from far more than strangers...from those I consider family, I have been freely and lovingly given so much. A home, nieces and a nephew, laughter, laundry, house keys to places I don't even live in, the constant knowledge that even if I have no where to go, I still have somewhere, numbers of people to call any time of day and a comforting presence in the midst of turmoil, advice and, the greatest of these: love. Can we be "old world" with our hearts? I'd like to think so, and as I look around at what I've been given, I think of what I have to return. Sometimes (in fact, most of the time), it feels like I don't actually have that much to give, and I think that I'll be as freely, lovingly generous when my "time" comes. And then I realize, my time is now! I can only hope that I give now with what I have as freely as I can, not counting the dollars or minutes invested, but rather giving of myself...of what I have.

Consider this a new "Free Stuff" Craig's list posting: my life.



Oh, and if you're wanting some free broken concrete or cardboard, click here:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/zip/

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Beautiful post, sister!!!