Monday, February 11, 2008

Music is my life

I've always thought it'd make me a bit of a poser to make the aforementioned statement. I have NO rhythm. Seriously. I've gone to some steps/weights classes at my gym and I'm convinced I'm there for comic effect as I flail my arms a half second after my instructor and have to skip steps to get caught up. And during my beloved spinning classes, a new song will come on and the instructor will tell us to match our pace to the beat of the song...I get there and can hold it for about ten seconds, then it's gone again. Oh, and clapping along during a song in contemporary worship. Nope. I can either sing, OR clap. My concentration is fully occupied by sticking to the rhythm, and I prefer to sing, not that my voice is much of an improvement over my rhythm, of course. For instance, my tonality is questionable, and I can't hear parts.

Thus, to say that "music is my life," doesn't seem to quite fit. But I assure you, it's true. Ever since I was a kid, and we'd play those "Which would you rather" games, and when the question was "Be blind or deaf?" I always picked blind because I couldn't imagine not being able to listen to music. If there is nothing else I can take with me, electronics-wise, into the Peace Corps, it will be my iPod.

Taking into account my complete inability to be a creator of said music, or to improve others' experience of music, I've always been completely AMAZED by those who can, in face, produce or enhance musical experiences. Those people get major gold stars in my book. Lyricists, especially, rock my small world with their ability to take my heart and mind to places my heart and mind didn't know before. And the sound of it...the rise that makes me happy, the lethargy that makes me contemplative, the thump-thump beat that makes me dance like white girl skinny...did I mention that I can't dance, either?

Music, is, my life. Kelly laughed at me last night when, after getting home from seeing "P.S. I Love You" at the dollar theatre for the second night in a row, I immediately logged into iTunes and bought the album. I think her exact words were, "You're unemployed and you won't even buy groceries, but you'll buy music."

I've been playing the album all day. :)

No comments: