Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Borsch, vodka and English!

My Peace Corps placement is in, folks! I'm off to Ukraine! I found out last Friday and after the initial 35 seconds of pure joy and excitement, the tears took over. Once those settled, I called my dad first and my placement officer second, the first to share the news and the second to say "YES!!! I'll go!" (the letter I got was really just an invitation; volunteers have to respond to it within 10 days). After that, I called pretty much everyone else I know. And they would all ask the same thing: "Are you happy it's Ukraine?" I had no real other answer than "Yes....?" Flipping through the info book was the first time I'd ever really thought about Ukraine as a country, and so I really didn't know if I should be excited. I really didn't have any expectations or hopes, so I don't feel disappointed. I knew wherever I ended up, it'd be where I'm supposed to be.

It's taken me exactly one week to finally put this blog together. I guess it's more the words and thoughts that needed to be processed and formed. But in that week I've learned the Ukrainian alphabet, the "food" and "transportation" words in my Ukrainian lesson book, begun shopping around for REALLY REALLY COLD WEATHER gear and even imagined myself giving my "first day of school" speech (I plan to rely heavily on hand gestures). I have 3 books about Ukraine's history being transfered to my library so I can pick them up. I even started to post something on Craig's List about finding a Ukrainian conversation partner before I thought better of it and decided I don't know if I can be that naieve and trusting.

The point is, Ukraine is already in my heart. I can't wait to discover life's lessons taught there. I hope that I will be able to offer them as much of myself as they will certainly give to me. What a thrill!




Ah, and the specs.
Departure date: 28th Sept.
Duration: 27 months
EXACT location in Ukraine: TBD
Job title: Teaching English as a foreign language
Weather: REALLY FREAKING COLD
Quantities of vodka to be served to me: TBD
Time frame to start eating meat again: Soon
Internet availability: TBD
Pounds of "insulation" I plan to gain: Undetermined

Check out the Peace Corps website for more info about its role and Ukraine's history!

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.wherepc
(sorry it's not a click-able link...I can't figure out how to get Blogger to cooperate!)

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

Oh my, I love this post!
I can tell you that when I lived in really cold places, my extra padding weight was certainly present. Somehow never needing to wear a bikini seems to make padding ok. ;)
Love you! So excited!

the Albino Bowler said...

Serendipity strikes again. Great to find someone like you writing here...you know what I mean?