Friday, May 16, 2008

Moving on...



From a 2004 to a 1991. Tinted windows to scaly paint job. Power everything to most power things work. CD player and AM/FM Radio to tape deck that won't eject the iPod converter. Owned (well, sort of almost) by Sarah Berson to owned by dear friends Jill and Seth. Pleasant blueberry smell upon entry (really don't know where that one came from) to bag of cat litter in the back. All this to say: I've sold my car.

Now, there are a couple of significant things about that statement. First, USE AUTOTRADER.COM. I had my Civic on there for four days before I had a buyer. Let me be some testimonial or something of some sort...it works!!!

Second, the car itself. After my rather unpleasant driving experience in which I walked away with a few bruises and a totaled '93 Accord, my dad, rockstar that he is, drove out to California that following weekend to help me buy a new car. After a day of haggling and hemming, I drove home in my new Civic, who was shortly thereafter named Penelope. This was the first day that I had driven since my accident, and an incredibly loving gesture from my dad. We got in some quality time, and he was able to assist me in the car-buying process like nobody's business. Plus, this car was my first real, big-girl thing...my first car payment, my first car less than a decade old (it was preceded by my '87 Dodge Colt and a '93 Honda Accord). And I named her Penelope, the strong and faithful wife of Odysseus who overcame obstacles in his absence and celebrated his triumphant return. So you see, there is some emotional attachment to this car.

And finally, selling my car marks a huge step in my imminent commitment to my 27 months abroad in the Peace Corps. I still don't know exactly where yet, but rest assured, it will be shouted from the rooftops in due time.

As the Indian guy drove away in my baby, I was overcome with unexpected tears. It was what I wanted, selling my car, but I couldn't help but feel such tremendous loss when she was finally gone. The whole process couldn't have been smoother...I very much trusted the guy, he took care of everything as far as having checks ready, he had purchased financed cars many times, etc. But still, in all the commotion of getting her ready to send off, I pushed off the enormity. And when she was gone, it came. A good friend said, "and can you imagine what it's going to be like when you finally get overseas, and all the excitement of travel and settling and all is gone, and then you'll BE there." I can't. I ask myself questions like that ALL THE TIME...if I feel lonely here what's going to happen when I'm there? If I feel disconnected here what's going to happen there?

I honestly have NO idea what's going to happen over there. But I do know it will be enormous. And I know there will be joy and there will tears. It will always be more than "just a car," it will always have greater significance.


So, in the grand scheme of Penelope to Crap Wagon, I'm from car payment to none. From "on my own" to gettin a little help from my friends. I went from one loving act of generosity to another loving act of generosity. It might be a little ugly on the outside from time to time, but I LOVE it. And I can't wait to see where it takes me....

2 comments:

About The Project said...

A fine blog update. If it makes you feel and better the car you are driving around now is 3 years younger than the car I drive around (which my dad bought when I was 5).

Ingrid said...

Congrats on the sale!!!!!!!!!