Friday, September 26, 2008

Leavin!

Hello all!

I write to you from my warm and cozy hotel bed in Philly. It's 12:30 am on Saturday, and we leave for UKRAINE in just hours! It's amazing that this event is finally here...it's been so long in coming! I am thrilled to finally be on the "final descent" of this long application journey. Now it's time for the real thing!

So, these last two days have been "orientation." There are 72 people in my group to Ukraine; the second group of 70+ volunteers this year! Turns out, Ukraine is the largest Peace Corps program in the world nowadays, and it's got great resources for people of all abilities and passions.

And talk about great people! If i ever had the inkling that I was world-traveled, it's because I hadn't met these people. My new roommate lived in a non-English speaking Moroccan home, another guy is learning Sanskrit, two people already speak fluent Russian, a 60+ lady has run marathons and another 60+ couple is serving their SECOND term. Seriously, these people rock. I'm not sure why this surprises me, but I am making friends here! I guess I didn't expect it...perhaps it's a defense mechanism to expect the "worst," but it's great. There are so many life stories in these new friends, and I know it's only the tip of the iceberg, to use a tired expression yet again. I am amazed at the vulnerability in this group, and the willingness to stretch them/our selves.

I hope to be able to share more and more as my life progresses, and I know I will, but for the moment, I'm exhausted. We're up early tomorrow to leave for JFK in NY, en route to first Frankfurt and then Kyiv! We will have a two-day retreat somewhere near Kyiv and then our host families will come and take us away. None of us have any idea where exactly we'll be, but no one seems too bothered by it. And it's a really great observation, I think.

1 comment:

About The Project said...

Post up some pictures if you get a chance!