Monday, September 22, 2008

Sar in DC

Hello from DC!

I'm typing at my friend, Stef's, computer after a day of touring the shops in DC. Just to keep you all up to speed, here's how my last week or so has gone:

Alb to see family! I spent a LOVELY night chatting with Ingrid who very sweetly gave up her sleep for our conversation. I even got to tag along with her to work the next day and see some BBBS in action! Woo hoo!

I then spent several hours hanging out with Beth, Eric, Nolan and new baby Claire! I can't stress enough how wonderful Nolan is, or how great it was to see him again before I take off. I can't remember the last time I held a baby as small/young as Claire (she was two weeks when i was there!) and she is just beautiful. I got the bonus-round of a good chat with Eric and some stupendous directions to the airport, as well!

From Alb I went to Scottsdale for time with the folks. Sue and I got some quality time with coffee, shopping and getting our toes done. I even got the very CA-inspired flower on each of my big toes...replete with a sparkle! Very fun! My dad and I hiked on Thursday morning, which would have been even awesomer if I hadn't been to In N Out more times than I've been running in the last month or so... We had a great conversation on the way down (that's when I could keep up) and went out for breakfast after. I treasure the time I had there.

And then on to DC to hang out with Stef. I had a pit stop in Philly where I was treated to a great dinner by my aunt, and since then it's been great hanging out with Stef and seeing her wonderful grown-up life. Early Thursday morning I head back to Philly to go to Peace Corps orientation, and THAT'S when it'll really begin.

People ask if I'm excited, and I really can't say whether I am or not. It doesn't seem quite real, but I'm sure it will once I see some big sign about registration/sign-in and receive my orientation schedule. I'm hoping all my US loose ends are tied up and that I didn't over-pack or forget anything crucial. I'm also hoping I'm "ready," though I know that's a forever-elusive state of being. I once had a friend tell me how excited he was for me that I'd be heading out on this journey because I could go out as Sarah and just Sarah, without all the "trappings" of my life. I'm now trying to process what that is...how do I reconcile what is my past and who I am? I'm feeling a little anxious about answering that question with my impending deadline, truth be told. It also doesn't matter, since I am who I am and I bring what I am and I'll be who I am.

Alright, enough with the existential hoo-ha! I hope to keep up this blog while I'm overseas, and will probably try to arrange a Seth-like system in which I choose a particular day on which I will blog. We'll see about that, and I'll keep you posted!

No comments: