Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gettin by with a little help from my friends

One of the things I've always LOVED about the Ukrainian culture and people I've met is their generosity and enthusiasm to be there for me. I've had recurring problems with my water pump not working for weeks at a time. One of my neighbors (a part-time French teacher at school) has been awesome in letting me use her outdoor spigot any time I want to fill up my water jugs. Last week, she came outside with an apple and two oranges for me to take home!

When something needs to be fixed, the Ukrainian way is to (A) Do it yourself, or (B) Call a friend who has a friend who's brother has a son who knows how to do it. In most things, I am definitely NOT A. In fact, I'd assert that most Americans are not A. We call a super or a repair guy when something breaks, he comes, fixes it, and charges us money. Learning to be B has been a challenge for me, especially with my hyper-independence which is part character-based and part my role here in the Peace Corps. I'm appreciating these lessons I'm learning, even if they're at a hard price sometimes...the cost of my pride or an exhausting conversation in Russian. But I've found that when I get over it, the relief my neighbors find in being able to help me or that the daughter of the mother's friend speaks a little English is worth far more than my strict independence, as it allows for vulnerability, which allows for the true expression of the self. And the Ukrainian self is well worth my vulnerability.

No comments: