Tuesday, April 29, 2008

From stalking to monitoring to good ol' fashioned critical thinking!

So a few months ago, there were flyers EVERYWHERE for a missing cat named Dusty, replete with description and color photo. Kelly and I put ourselves on a relentless quest, interrogating various stray cats and checking under cars at the flick of a fluffy tail. At first, the reward was a measly $100, but it grew to $500, and then $1000. In our semi-unemployed state, we thought it might be a good idea to take up professional "lost pet" hunting. Alas, weeks passed, it rained a couple of times, the wind blew, leaves turned, children grew up and moved away, something about a cat (not Dusty!!!) in the cradle and a silver spoon, and the "Lost Cat" posters disappeared.

Well, I was traipsing down Argonne the other day, and saw the tell-tale flick of the grey fluffy tail under a red Jeep. For kicks, and mostly out of habit, I crossed over and peeked under the Jeep. Sure enough, a rather sickly-looking semblance of Dusty appeared and implored me to help it find its rightful home. It was clearly sick...some sort of goo was oozing from one eye, his back left paw was broken, and he was just generally quite mangy. What to do!!! I happen to have a cat-bag in my car, and I thought about going to get it, but then I'd be stuck with this dilapidated cat for who knows how long. He was so pitiful I wanted to drive him to a vet right away and get his various injuries tended to, and I don't even like cats!

Instead, I set out on a quest to find his owner's posters. These posters proved quite elusive; as mentioned before, the passage of time had borne nakedness to the telephone and light posts. I did, finally, about 8 blocks later, find one tape-strip that had the bottom half of the phone number on it. SCORE! I rushed home to find my math-oriented roomie who could help me decipher its meaning...after all, $1000 was hanging in the balance!!!

Every possible combination for the number was written out, and I started calling. Mostly I got voicemails.

"Hi, my name is Sarah, and I might have the wrong number, but I was wondering if you are missing a cat named Dusty? If this is the correct number, and you're STILL missing your cat, please call me back at 555-5555, as I think I just saw him on Argonne and First. Thanks! Bye!"

A few people answered, and one lady even went next door to her neighbor's house because her neighbor was missing a cat (alas, that cat's name was "Miko," and there was no mention of a reward...).

With determination, I persevered. About 17 calls later, VICTORY!!!

Me: "Hi, my name is Sarah, and I might have the wrong number, but are you missing a cat named Dusty?"
Lady who answered: "Why, I'm Dusty's owner! You've got the right number! But he's not missing any more."
Me: "Are you sure he's not missing? I think I saw him..."
Lady: "I'm really sure he's not missing; he's sitting on my lap!"
Me: "Oh, well, I'm glad he made it back."
Lady: "Thank you! And I do so dearly appreciate all the concern and help from people like you...it means a lot to me."
Me: "Yeah yeah. I was really just after the cash...." (I didn't really say that. I said something else that was a lot nicer. But I was THINKING it...)

Well, it's over. My career as a professional pet-finder has ended. Owners will continue to wonder and worry, various pets will wander and frolic. I will keep my day job.

Except, walking up for a coffee yesterday, I saw a flyer for a mini-pincher named "Bubba....."

No comments: