Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not a Secret Any More!

The roomie was away for a weekend not too long ago, and I found myself indulging in a classic concept coined by Carrie in Sex and the City; I was in full swing with my "Secret Single Behaviors." These idiosyncrasies are those that we only do when we know we will be alone for a certain time or cannot be reached or seen by those who know us and might judge. Carrie's example (not a secret any more) is to stand in the kitchen eating saltines with grape jelly and reading fashion magazines. A tad tame for a purported "sex columnist" but that's the beauty of an SSB! It doesn't have to make sense.

So with the roomie gone and working my usual 4 am-12 noon at the Joe's, my break in single routine revolved mainly around the couch. The three nights I spent alone were not in my bed, but rather on the couch (at all hours, too) with the t.v. on. Dishes piled up, the cat went hungry, I ate Mac 'N Cheese and channel surfed. SSB? More like Blase Behavior!

Turn of events: Sometime between late-late and the wee hours, I was introduced to a haircare system that would revolutionize my locks after just one use! Multiple women stepped forward to have their hair washed, no luxuriously bathed, by this wonder product, and then interviewed after with shining smiles and curls or gentle waves. They couldn't believe how after just one use, they could see such a difference! And styling was so much easier! It was a one-time payment and they were so certain that I'd love the product that I could return it for a full refund, even if the bottles were empty!

But wait, there's more! The free gifts started rolling in. There was a comb, a balm and a styling creme. Well now! What an offer! How can I refuse?

Being more or less morally opposed to ordering off the t.v., I went online. It seemed so much less cliche. Soon enough, I was completing my order.

BUT WAIT. THERE WAS MORE.
As a new customer, I was privileged to get the introductory rate for a mineral make up and foundation set. THERE WERE MORE FREE GIFTS! I got two brushes, an eyeshadow palette and an undereye cream along with the bronzer, foundation, etc. All for just $10! A steal. This, too, came with a we-know-you'll-love-it guarantee of sending back the empty containers for a full refund. Why not?!

And so I have added a new vice to my repertoire. As the roomie has returned and restored reality, so is going the way of my haircare system, which wasn't all that (OR a bag of chips!).

And yes, the bottles are being mailed back empty. :)

No comments: