Monday, February 9, 2009

I drink rainwater

Since Wednesday, I haven't had water. The mechanical pump that I turn on to fill the cistern in my kitchen which then feeds my faucet broke, and once my reserves ran out (it's always good to keep some buckets around...nothing is guaranteed here!), I was gettin to be a very thirsty (and dirty!) girl. Today, one of the awesome maintenance guys at my school came over to take a look and unscrew stuff.

In the process, he went outside to see what I was talking about when I said I had "gorodovskaya voda", or city water. He looked and looked for this supposed hook-up (as had I when my last bucket was nearing its bottom) and finally looked at me and laughed, and asked me just how far away Los Angeles is. Turns out, I actually use rainwater that drips from my roof to some sort of underground cistern network. Equally confusing is that somehow my pump is connected to one of them and I drink rainwater. This definitely explains the slight brown tint and occasional foliage floaty...

No comments: