Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The ball is ROLLIN!

This is my one and only full school year during my service, and the excitement to make it an awesome year is bubbling out of me. I still don't have a schedule at school, but I'm not worried. It gives me a little extra time to get some of this stuff DONE! You see, I've just come back from a weekend in Kiev that was super fun but also remarkably productive, which leaves me with lots to do now! And what stuff might that be, you wonder? Well, let me tell you! (And categorically, since I seem to be a fan of that style these days)

∂ Special Projects Assistance grant
I want to write a grant and apply for some $$$ to create an English Resource room for my school. I would like to have a place teachers can go between lessons, store their books and materials, and even get work done on a computer I'd like to get in there. My school has internet, so an additional goal would be to make the room internet-accessible so that I can run tutorials on how to search for lesson plans, activities, worksheets and more. Hello 21st century!

∂ FLEX
The Future Leaders Exchange program is something that the States started. It provides students in former Soviet countries the opportunity to live in America for a school year to practice English, share their culture and learn about ours. The interview process is coming up, and I'm hoping to hand-select a few students and help coach them toward that interview. It's an amazing chance for these kids; those who I've met who were in FLEX are greatly changed with expansive world-views. It would be awesome for my village to have such an experience, because not just one kid would go, but it would really open up the world to the whole town.

∂ NuShcho
We have a newsletter in Ukraine that PCVs can contribute to called NuShcho (it means "what's up?!") for which I am the editor. I'm excited about re-vamping the look and professionalism of this publication, hopefully inspiring more people to contribute on a variety of topics. Our next layout is in a week and a half, so this enthusiasm is well-timed!

∂ Warden Resource SNL Skit
During training, we are bombarded with information regarding safety in addition to all the cultural and language lessons. As a safety warden for my region, I am trying to help make that information more accessible by writing a mock SNL skit. Hopefully we can get this off the ground and film it for it to be shown in training. Fun!

∂ Summer Camp
My town really wants me to do a summer camp next summer. It's a big job, but I think that starting it now is going to make sure it happens. We're making small steps, but progressing toward putting on a 10-ish day beach camp. Also FUN!

∂ The Collaborative
My second meeting in Kiev was for a group called The Collaborative. It's somewhat fledgling, but I'm really excited about where it's going. In each region, we will recruit a facilitator to host a meeting for Volunteers in that area to work on professional development. We all have different projects, ideas, resources and abilities, and so this will be a chance to share those and learn from each other. I will host one soon, I hope!

∂ BOOKS!
There are several organizations within the States that provide books for schools and specifically Peace Corps volunteers. One of these amazing groups is Darien Book Aid, and hopefully we'll soon be getting a box of books to add to our fancy new English Resource Room! ;)

∂ New TEFL Volunteers
I've been corresponding with a few in-coming TEFL Volunteers (arriving in just 2 weeks now), answering questions about packing social climate, host family gifts, you name it. I am thrilled to have the chance to go visit a training cluster (probably early November) in a mentor role. I remember my experience with my mentors during training, and it was truly helpful to me. I hope that I can return the lessons learned!

This going to be a GREAT year. I will be so busy I may not even notice the cold (riiiiiiight). The inertia is strong now, and I hope to maximize all the resources I have while I can!

Thanks for listening as you love!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Sarah Jane!
You are involved in amazing things through your service! Your creativity, sense of humor, and ability to create trusting relationships will help carry you through...
We're in this together. So glad I have your support and hope I can help you along your journey, as well.
Cheers,
Natalie