Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ridin the Roller Coaster

So there is a page of one of our training manuals that depicts the traditional ups and downs for PCVs based on the time they've been in country. I've been meaning to pull it out and check on my own status, and finally did only to discover that I'm right on target.

11-15 months
Issues: Mid-service crisis, doubt about program/self/role/government, various failures over time, disillusionment, confusion in resolving frustrations with victories

Behavior/Reaction: Impatience with self/program/"system," blame on program constant complaining, lethargy, haughtiness with new volunteers

Dear me. Well, the previous blog about all the things I'm doing is still true-ish. I'm not really teaching yet, but I've got heaps of projects I'm working on and doing a fairly good job of keeping up with. So why is it that I feel so ineffective? Useless? It's hard to say, and even harder to enjoy the freedom that I do have now, even with the knowledge that such an opportunity will never present itself to me again (and is likely to change soonish).

I'm almost at one year, and it will be good to celebrate this accomplishment. My next stage is more hopeful and not far off, and of course, it is what I want it to be and I make it. This chart also includes ideas for getting through such stages, and one is planning holidays/vacations. So who wants to meet me in Jamaica at Christmas???

No comments: