Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Words to hold on to

With such a slow start in my schedule and with very little to do in my town or at home, the last few weeks or so have been somewhat difficult in the boredom/ineffectiveness feeling. I struggled with the loneliness before coming across a passage in The Road Less Traveled (Scott Peck) about making it through our most memorable journeys necessarily alone, with base camps of friends and families, of course. What comfort!

Then I cracked open a Kurt Vonnegut book called A Man Without a Country and read:

"And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"

There are always opportunities to think "this is nice," and I'm working on taking those chances to feel that particular moment on this amazing, lonely journey of a lifetime. I hope these are words you, too, can hold on to!

Blessings as you love and notice the nice.

No comments: